Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Today's Plantings

I had a bit of time this afternoon, so I went into the perennial garden and prepared some soil. I had to chop out some more lilies, some weeds and onion grass, and some ground cover that is probably a weed but I'm not sure what it is, only that it is all over and doesn't flower. I am happy to note that I saw many big, fat earthworms, which says we have good soil.... After that work was done, I planted peonies, dahlias, and another perennial garden mix. I have to say, those seed mixes are my favorites! All you have to do is get the soil loosened up, sprinkle the seeds and flatten them in. They grow like crazy (at least, if last summer's cutting garden mixture was indicative!) and they come back year after year. How easy is that? I am definitely a cottage garden type--I know, you're shocked at that news--so I don't mind the profusion and confusion that these mixes provide.

I also planted the sweet peas over by the back fence, and a flat of pansies from seeds that the kids bought for my birthday in our little indoor greenhouse box. I was shocked, since pansies are such a hardy flower, that the seeds had to be started inside. However, although it's late in the spring for starting indoors, they bloom into the cold weather, so I think they'll be fine. Plus, by the time they're big I'll be able to see where I need fill- in plantings. I am really hoping the sweet peas do well, because I love them and they will hide the hideously ugly chicken-wire fencing that closes in the yard.

Still to plant: climbing roses (one in front, one in back), primroses, Gaillardia Dazzlers (red with gorgeous yellow centers, they are some variety of huge daisy) and zinnias. Then I think it's on to preparing the vegetable patch, including the fencing to keep scavenging chickens off. I can't wait to see everything start growing and blooming. I can't wait to fill the house with flowers again. And I can't wait to see if the cutting garden at the front walk will return....

No comments: