Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ben and Harry Potter

This morning when it came time for Ben to read me a story, he deviated from the plan. Usually he gets me a story from the library basket (so that I know it isn't a story he has memorized) and reads it to me, with me giving help as needed.

"Mom," he said seriously, "I want to read a chapter from `Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.' "

I should say here that he has seen most of the movies, and every night Matt reads from a chapter book way above his reading level, such as The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia series. Ben's dearest wish is that when they are finished with Narnia they will begin the Harry Potter books.

I thought of saying no, because I knew it would be way too hard for him. He is doing really well, but by the end of a story book he is done. And it is just a fact that a book written for young adults (or at least much older kids) is too dense for a 5 year old to get through. So instead I suggested that he read one page.

He read about a half a page, and he did pretty well. But after that he agreed that he'd rather read a story book, and happily chose one. I think that even the size of the print makes a huge difference to a new reader, and the number of words on a page. But I was proud of him for trying!

--Jen


No comments: