Thursday, November 15, 2007

I am the Queen of the Mermaids

Julia, Ben and Emma have been downstairs in the family room for the last hour and a half, playing a really loud game. I know at one point they were pirates because I heard them shouting about getting to the ship and various "Ayes!" and "Mateys!" coming up the stairs.

I went into the kitchen to get my coffee, and met them in the kitchen. Julia was in the mermaid costume, Ben had a wooden sword and a silk scarf around his waist (looked like a skirt but was probably supposed to be a belt...) and Emma had on her leopard costume. Julia was on the counter, getting glasses out of the cupboard.

"Good morning, Mother," she greeted me. (I knew this was part of the game. She never calls me Mother, only Mama or Mom sometimes. For now.)

"Hello, sweeties," I replied.

"You are the Queen," she informed me. "The Queen of the Mermaids!"

"Then why am I getting my own coffee?" I thought. "I am?" I said out loud. "then I command you to keep playing!"

"We're getting a drink," Julia said, as if I wouldn't deduce that from the glasses and the counter scaling.

"Of beer!" Ben added, helpfully. (Matt and I HATE beer--we only have it in the fridge for guests and making bread.) "Only Lilly can't have some." (indicating Emma, who when dressed as a leopard is always Lilly.)

Seeing that this could degenerate into a knock-down, drag out fight if Emma was denied beer when the mermaid and pirate were having some (do I need to worry about the teen years?!) I said indulgently, "Oh--let her have some. She looks thirsty."

Ben and Julia looked doubtfully at each other for a minute. They started debating about cubs being old enough to drink beer. Lilly waited patiently for the verdict. Finally, they conceded, "Okay, Lilly, you can have some beer--but it has to be mixed with grape juice! We don't want you drunk at the Mermaid Ball later!"

I need some more coffee, please.

No comments: