Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ham and Bean Soup

Today has been a very rainy day, pouring and with intermittent thunderstorms. It's actually been quite nice, being in the house with the windows open and the fresh breeze blowing in, listening to the rain fall.

When it came time to think about what to have for dinner, I decided to use some of the ham we had last night and make ham and bean soup. Normally we wouldn't be thinking of soup for another few weeks, but it's such a gray day that I think it will be nice. Right now the stock is simmering, full of ham bone, onions, carrots, celery and herbs (I used thyme, basil and rosemary, along with some black pepper.)

When it's ready, I will strain it and maybe use a bit of chicken bouillon if it needs some help. Then I will add diced ham, onion, carrot, potatoes, garlic and a medley of pink, white and black beans. Season it up for flavor, and serve with hot corn bread and a salad.

And that's what's for dinner!

Jen

No comments: