Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions

I have decided that New Year's resolutions are pointless. Everyone makes them but almost nobody keeps them, which is why they tend to be the same ones over and over: lose weight/exercise/eat more veggies/ eat less processed food; be more organized; procrastinate less; help the homeless/hungry/needy/old; clean those junk drawers/closets/basements/attics and give away all useless stuff; stop smoking/using caffeine/drinking/cursing. Get more sleep; watch less TV and waste less time on the computer--blah, blah, blah. I think we should all just accept that nobody's perfect and stop trying to change ourselves when we're drunk.

That said, I resolve to do (or not do as the case may be) many of the above all through the year, which either makes me incredibly optimistic or incredibly dumb. I don't need New Year's to try and improve myself and I am realistic enough to know that I can do better, but really I try my best and that's all that matters. In the long run I don't think the state of my attic is going to matter--even if I cringe every time I open the door, and sometimes I just toss things in and run back downstairs!

Everyone should just resolve to give love and accept it, to be as kind and thoughtful as they can be, and to appreciate all that's good in their lives. And maybe exercise more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really.