Monday, September 1, 2008

Lesson Planning

So I have been kind of steadily working on my lesson plans for the first six weeks of school. I am pretty much finished with Julia's and have just one more book to work through for Ben. Then it will be time to tackle Rachel's plan. Definitely the most difficult, because since she's in 8th grade there's much more work to be done. For instance, in addition to regular old history she is required to have NYS history and Constitution....call me forgetful, but I'm just about positive I NEVER studied New York history at all. I do remember a Constitutional Law class as an elective in 8th grade, but the Constitution itself was just part of American History. Anyway, so I got her some books about Long Island history to cover that requirement for now.

I also have to decide what to do with Shakespeare this year. I got some Barron's Shakespeare versions-- Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I loved these versions because it has the original text on the left and then a modern translation on the facing page, which is perfect when reading alone. I also got a small workbook with questions, quizzes and essays on Shakespearean works--but each play in it only has two or three pages of work. I'll have to decide what exactly I want to do with studying those.

Of course, Matt will plan math and science for her, so at least I don't have to worry about those. Algebra and biology--what fun! It's going to be a challenge to get him to sit down and plan those lessons.....we've spoken a lot about his procrastination skills. One week to get it done!

As for Emma, I have some workbooks I found that the other kids never got to or never finished. She is begging for work, so I figured these would be a great start. I indulged her desire to "do school" on Saturday morning, and sat down at the table with her, a pen and some crayons, and a reading readiness book that claimed to be geared for K-1st...she did 27 pages in one sitting! With NO trouble at all. If this is what passes in school for K-1st work, then that is just pathetic. Since then she keeps asking to do more school work, but since Matt and I painted this weekend (second coat of the exterior is about halfway done!) we never went back to it.

So, here comes the final week of summer vacation. I am so sad!!!

--Jen

No comments: