Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kids Who Make Coffee

How do I know that Julia is growing up? This morning as I was getting out of the shower, my sweet almost-8-year-old said to me, "I made your coffee, Mama!" I was surprised. She has watched me make coffee (of course) and has often helped me grind beans or scoop it into the filter. But it's Rachel who usually offers to make me coffee--though since this was at 9 am, she naturally was still asleep!

"Tell me how you did it," I asked, wanting to see if I needed to prepare myself to go into the kitchen.

"I emptied the old grinds into the trash, I filled the pitcher thing up to 6 with water and poured it into the top, and I put 10 scoops of coffee in, closed the top and turned it on!" she said proudly.

TEN scoops? She knows I like strong coffee (anyone who knows me probably knows that) but even I don't make it that strong! I explained to her that what I did was add a scoop to the number of cups--I would use 7 scoops for 6 cups of water. I kissed her and thanked her for making it, and then went in and quickly added some water to the well of the still-dripping machine.

She poured and sugared it just how I like it when it was finished, and even warmed my cup and thermos beforehand. The coffee is still quite strong, but it's the best cup I've had all week, because Julia made it for me.

--Jen

No comments: