Monday, December 10, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RACHEL!

I'm late with this one--Rachel's birthday was actually Saturday, December 8. She is now twelve years old! We had such a busy weekend that I just never sat down to blog about what we were doing. On Saturday, we had a big breakfast (her choice) with eggs, hashbrowns and bacon. There were our gifts to her and a lot of talking. In the afternoon Rachel and Matt spent time together while I took Julia, Ben and Emma to a friend's birthday party. By the time we got home it was time for homemade pizza, salad and chocolate cake--again, Rachel's pick. Her friend Matt from across the street was with us for dinner, since her birthday party this year is a sleepover, so he won't be there.

Yesterday we had family over--my parents, sister Susan and her husband Sean, and three of their four kids (their eldest, Meghan, was working, unfortunately--we are used to it, but don't like it!) made the journey out to us. We had a gorgeous fire, music, endless talk, lots of great food, the Giants game, ball in the yard, walks with the dogs, more cake for dessert, and even some Christmas shopping. We all had a wonderful day, and Rachel loved her gifts--she is very excited that this year she received some cash to spend as she wants. She is already plotting shopping on Amazon and ebay, with a possible jaunt to Border's.

So how does it feel to be the mom of a twelve year old? Honestly, no different than when she was eleven--unless I start to think about it. Then it is terrifying! To think about how I felt at twelve (pretty much as though I were an adult now...no more kid stuff for me!) and trying to apply it to Rachel...well, let's just say I try to stop thinking and just say "lalalalalalalalalalala" to divert my mind! And yet, of course, the evidence insists that she is indeed on that slippery slope to young adulthood and I just have no choice but to accept it. I can probably accept it, but I don't have to enjoy it.

As an aside--this morning Julia asked Emma is she could have a stuffed bunny that belongs to her. Emma thought a minute, then replied: "Well, Julia--if I get to be a teenager and we haven't sold it away--then you may have it!"

Yikes!

--Jen

2 comments:

Kelly said...

ACK! 12!! I'm not old enough for you to have a 12 year old! I remember the day she was born! I was still in my vagobond bohemian days, living with Barbara! If she's 12, well that makes me, let's just say older!

Tell her:

Rachel San otanjyobe omedeto gozaemas!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Happy, happy birthday Rachel! I am glad that you had a good weekend!