Friday, September 21, 2007

Borders

I took the kids to Borders today to pick up some birthday presents. As usual, we made a stop at the cafe for a snack, then headed to the children's section to poke around. I decided to get a caramel latte, something I rarely indulge in because of the thousands of calories it has, but I did it. Ordered a small caramel latte.

The girl was new--after spending 10 minutes making it and figuring out what everything costs--did you know that a Rice Krispie Treat is actually listed under "marshmallow" in the price list at Borders? I didn't!---she handed me my drink and asked me to taste it, because it was the first one she'd ever made. I tasted it--of course it was about a billion degrees--and reassured her that it was fine. I have a pretty bad cold, so it didn't taste like much, but I figured it was too hot to really taste yet.

As I sipped it, however, I kept thinking that it tasted pretty bad. It tasted weak, and kind of like cinnamon, which is not what a caramel latte should taste like. While the kids talked and ate their marshmallow treat, I absently looked at the receipt. Well, no wonder! I was drinking a TEA latte! Ever see Lucy on the Peanuts cartoons after she gets a nice kiss from Snoopy? That's how I felt! Lattes are coffee drinks, not tea!

I took it back and explained, and was very calm and apologized that I didn't catch it sooner, but it was hot and I have a cold. The lady on duty (my incompetent girl had gone home or on break--or maybe to a different department where she couldn't abuse law-abiding coffee lovers...) apologized profusely and upgraded me to a medium. And made it correctly.

Although now I have a few extra hundred calories to burn, what with the bigger drink and all....

Jen

No comments: